We can all remember at least three times in our lives where we felt that money would solve all our problems. We also know at least one person or family that is not a celebrity who tugs at the inner green monster of jealousy.
The fact that money gives you the power to buy things does not translate into making you happy. There are psychological and emotional points which also play a large role in your ability to handle the status of being rich. Another important fact to consider is how you obtained your riches, as these facts influence your response to being rich.
A lot of the cons to being rich are directly related to how you got rich, you’re mental and emotional stability and your own personal goals. Most of the cons will not pertain to someone who has worked 20 or 30 years and successfully made themselves rich, nor will they pertain to someone who has more purpose to life than getting rich or to someone who has a good self-esteem.
Cons of being rich
- Feelings of self-worth and personal acceptance are undermined as you wonder if people are friendly to you because you a great person or because you have money.
- Purpose to life is reached and no goals to work towards make life seem pointless.
- Friends and family asking for loans.
- Expectation of friends and family become unrealistic.
- Boredom with life in general.
The pros of being rich are not limited in the same manner as the cons, although they could be limited to the choices you make.
Pros of being rich
- Ability to buy things you couldn’t afford previously.
- Financial security despite the economy.
- Freedom to make choices where money is a deciding factor, like working for a charity instead of a salary.
- Time to do thing you love instead of slaving away at a job you don’t truly enjoy.
The reality is that money is a tool, it provides you with a means to provide nicer material things for you and your family, but if money is your goal in life once you have made the money you need you left to feel worthless. Accepting the power of money and the importance you place on money in your life will change the way you handle the status of being rich.