Gambling has become more and more popular in recent years, with more than half the UK population betting regularly. While it’s a lot of fun placing a bet, if you approach it in the wrong way you could lose money and find yourself in a downward spiral. From setting a betting limit to staying away from heated conversations, this is how to stay in control and keep having fun while you’re gambling.
Recommended reading: Five smart ways to handle a sudden windfall
Set a betting limit before you sit at a table & keep to it limit
Whether you chose to gamble at a land casino or online casino, the first thing you must do to stay on top of things when gambling is to set a betting limit. Taking this approach will make sure you don’t spend more money than you’re comfortable doing and can focus on the fun of playing a casino game.
Bankroll management is one of the things that allows professional gamblers to make a living from gambling. While I’m not suggesting you should take setting a betting limit as the first step towards a career in betting, knowing that even the pros do it shows how important it is to bet within your limits. Some top bankroll management tips include:
- Setting a limit that you can afford – don’t go into debt
- Restricting your betting sessions – make it a fun past time, not an essential
- Withdrawing your winnings – helps to draw a line under each session
- Don’t chase losses – decide how much you’re willing to lose and let any losses go
Play games that you’re confident in & know the rules for
I don’t know about you, but I don’t find it much fun playing a game where I’m the only one who doesn’t really understand what’s going on. It makes me self-conscious and causes me to make bad decisions, leaving a sour taste in my mouth once I’ve finished playing. You should look at gambling in the same way and keep things fun by sticking to playing games you know the rules for.
There are a lot of different games you can play at a casino – baccarat, blackjack, poker, roulette and more. Each has its own rules and you can find game guides on casino review sites or tutorial videos that explain how you can play. Two key things to remember when getting acquainted with the rules of your chosen game are:
- Differences between online and land-based casino betting – online casinos often help you to keep to the rules by carrying out tasks for you (such as adding the ante in poker)
- Know the betting conventions – you don’t want to bet bigger or smaller than you’re able to at certain moments, so get an understanding of the amounts you can and should bet
Don’t get involved in any heated table discussions
Some online RPGs (role-playing games) are renowned for their fierce discussions between gamers. While it can be enjoyable to speak to your fellow players (you may make new friends) getting involved in heated discussions at a gambling table is a big no-no. Not only do you risk losing focus on your game and then your bankroll, but you could also get banned from the casino.
Whenever I gamble online or at a land casino, I try and keep chatter to a minimum. If another gambler is having a friendly word I’ll politely end the conversation as quickly as possible. Of course, you could ignore the other players but taking that line could rile someone up and cause them to get angry with you. My advice for staying cool at the table is:
- Give the table a once over before you sit down to play – see if there are any players who seem as though they might cause problems
- If you’re drinking alcohol then do so in moderation – you’ll be able to stay in control of what you say and how you react to other gamblers
Gambling at an online casino, land casino, or in your home is a lot of fun when you do it in the right way. While bankroll management, knowing the rules, and picking the right table go a long way to making sure you gamble safely, one thing you always need to keep in mind is that you’re there to have fun. If you visit a casino with the intention of making money you’ll set yourself up for disappointment if you have a losing session. So keep things breezy and you’ll have a great time!